January 3, 2022
What a year to make a difference. What a year to make a change.
We believe in big ideas, hard work, creativity, initiative and a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality. As such, Smart City Works internships can span any and all of our business operations and programs of interest. Indeed, past internship projects have covered a wide range of all that we do – from business strategy and development to business operations and research, including, but not limited to: sourcing ventures, market research, customer discovery, media relations, event planning, curricula development and scheduling; as well as research on key issues, such as modernization and protection of electricity networks, cybersecurity, technologies to decarbonize energy systems, and global and regional initiatives to promote public safety, transportation efficiency, affordable housing, and clean energy innovation.
Working closely with the senior staff and principals of Smart City Works Venture Labs, your main job will be to assist in business operations, program administration, and business development planning.
Specific duties may include (but are not limited to):
- Support business development, to include market research, research of funding opportunities, proposal writing, strategic partnership and ecosystem development, and pitch decks;
- Support program development and implementation, to include curriculum development, thought leadership events, and commercialization initiatives;
- Support in establishing and maintaining regular business operations (e.g., customer relations management, public affairs, and day-to-day operations –- meeting notes, expense tracking, and scheduling);
- Helping to develop, maintain, and execute strategic communications, to include creating, editing, and disseminating marketing materials such as opinion pieces, journal articles, press releases, newsletters, and/ or blogposts;
- Monitoring major smart city and related publications and event data to maintain knowledge center on latest professional and technical developments;
- Creating graphic or other media presentations on smart cities that can be shared on social media.
- Currently pursuing a Graduate degree, or recently completed graduate work in business, urban planning, and/or technology innovation or a related field
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and WordPress
- Skills in use of social media is a strong plus,
- Strong attention to details
- Experience conducting research and developing market intelligence;
- Very task-oriented and a self-starter
- Excellent critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of humor, passion for making a difference in the world, and love of adventure a must
Compensation range: This is an unpaid internship at this time. Based on mutual interest and availability there is the possibility of this position moving to a full-time paid position.
Start Date and Internship Period
The internship would start as soon as you are available for a period commencing ASAP through June 2022, with an option to extend as mutually agreed.
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (on a “smart cities” or topic)
- Optional: portfolio of graphic presentations
How to Apply
Send application to email@example.com. Please write “INTERNSHIP 2022’ in the subject.
About Smart City Works
Smart City Works Venture Labs, a.k.a. “THE ACTUATOR”, is the world’s first business actuator — a new class of business accelerator that can more rapidly commercialize new technologies and innovations. Established in 2016, Smart City Works was founded on three simple premises: our world and the way we live is at an inflection point. Rapid urbanization, failing infrastructure, and climate change are putting tremendous stress on cities and communities. At the same time, digitization, advances in material science, AI, and cloud, and an extraordinary entrepreneurial spirt across North America and the globe offer a must-seize opportunity to disrupt the way we design, build and operate cities.
Today, we now can—and for all that is going on, we must—improve the livability, sustainability, and resilience of cities. That is our goal, our purpose, our mission: to build smarter and live better. And to help founders and start-ups seeking to do the same by helping them get to market faster, grow and scale better, and achieve their vision sooner.
The Smart City Works ACTUATOR is uniquely focused on urban tech, infrastructure, on improving cities and planet earth. Our business acceleration programs take some of the world’s most promising high-tech ventures and helps them to grow from good to great, from ideation to commercialization, and from early-stage to high-growth ventures.
Our goal is to help founders make a difference, and for them to do good and do well, at scale.